Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Endometriosis?

Well, a fair bit has happened these last few weeks. During Relief Society a few weeks ago, the lesson was on trials in our lives. The teacher asked us to share something personal from our lives that we have had to deal with and I kept feeling like I should say "infertility", but I didn't want to. It is such a personal thing and I really don't like when strangers offer their uninformed advice like "Oh, honey, there's always adoption." or "You're so young. Just enjoy the time you have." or "When you least expect it it will happen." or "You know, once you adopt you'll get pregnant like that!" Anyway, I kept feeling like I should say something but I ignored it. However, my friend Staci raised her hand and said, "I've had to deal with endometriosis." She went on to share some of the struggles of infertility, pain and frustration and how they have affected her life, but how she has since been able to help other women recognize and overcome their endometriosis. I was compelled.
Long story short (unless you want the details) I left a message for Staci to call me. It took her a few days to get the message and by then I was working on finals and thought that I probably didn't have it anyway and so I let it go. She called me a few days later and said that she couldn't get my name out of her head and that I needed to call her. Needless to say I did and we were on the phone for over an hour talking about the signs and symptoms of endometriosis. I seem to have many of the symptoms and perhaps those of you who have not been properly diagnosed (like myself...stinkin' Kaiser!) have it to. I would encourage each of you who have any of these symptoms to go to your doctor and have them test you for endometriosis (it can only be diagnosed by laproscopy so if you've had anything but that and they said you don't have endometriosis, insist on further diagnostics.)
The symptoms that I have and you may have too are:

  • Very painful periods (severe cramping, like contractions during labor).
  • Bloating.
  • Major mood swings (I get uncontrollably witchy and emotional the two weeks before my period starts).
  • My lower back hurts a couple days before my period begins.
  • I get chronic yeast infections.
  • Headaches.
  • Fatigue.
  • Infertility.

I just thought that I would submit to each of you the possibility of endometriosis. I don't know about you, but I look forward to being diagnosed with it, because at least then there is a possible reason as to why we haven't been able to conceive and why my periods are SO TERRIBLE. Anyway, get checked out. I have an appointment on the 6th of January and I am hoping for the best (in this case that I have it and can get the laproscopy to get it removed).

Also, my friend said that 80% of women have endometriosis, only 20% are diagnosed and for those who are diagnosed 20%-40% have infertility. Interesting, no? Anyway, please pursue this route if you haven't already. Love you all!

1 comment:

Emily said...

Dani, this is something that has been on my mind lately a lot. I talked to my doctor about it about a month ago and he kind of blew it off. Very frustrating. So I kind of forgot about it. Now that you bring it up it makes me really wonder if I ought to push for it. Please let me know how your appointment goes, and what the doctor says. I've been trying to do some reasearch to see what it all entails. After 6 failed months of treatment and no answers I'm starting to feel desperate y'know? Anyway, I hope this turns out to be successful path for you to follow. Keep me updated.
Emily